Modelling the town of Beauvin from The Blue Max in ROF

A place to talk about anything to do with Rise of Flight

Moderator: SYN Exec

Modelling the town of Beauvin from The Blue Max in ROF

Postby WWGeezer » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:56 pm

Used the ROF mission builder to attempt to model the Aerodrome at Beauvin from The Blue Max novel.
Thought you might find it entertaining

http://thebluemaxproject.wingwalkers.org/filming-on-location-with-the-blue-max-project/

WWGeezer

Re: Modelling the town of Beauvin from The Blue Max in ROF

Postby SYN_Bandy » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:00 am

Very nice Geezer, I have the DVD so I'll have to watch the movie again just to see the airfield. How long did it take you to make it?

Couldn't tell for sure in video, but it looks like you aren't using Ankor's bump map mod. Perhaps not for everyone, since down low it tends to be a little unsightly, but over 500 feet and it really makes the terrain come alive!

Thanks for sharing, maybe it can be implemented in a mission?

PS: Are you the "Geezer" who is modding "Golden Era" for First Eagles? Quite an accomplished 3D modeler...
See here: http://combatace.com/files/category/841-first-eagles-golden-era-1920-to-1940/

and
http://combatace.com/files/file/15543-cr42-1940/
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby WWGeezer » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:22 am

Oh I wish I could take credit for all that work, but tis not me

To be clear this map uses all standard objects, no modelling ( the title of the post is a bit misleading) just researched the book and built the map to get as close to matching the town described in the novel. For my project I am going to be making faux vintage photographs and hand sketches of landmark locations in the novel and i thought using the mission builder would give me some back drops to use for sketching and photoshopp

The airbase is the fake airfield combined with the Lechelle base x 3...the rest is pretty standard.

Also the first image is the ROF map as a base, by the time it gets into the sketchbook you won't recognize it because it will all be hand inked on aged paper

Likey I will turn it into a multiplayer mission eventually but Beauvin is a real peach to try to take off from ( yikes!)
WWGeezer

Postby WWGeezer » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:24 am

Ps....dont compare the map to the movie....the town and its landmarks are as described in the novel
WWGeezer

Postby WWGeezer » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:20 pm

And the fun continues...here are the "simulated" photos that developed from this

http://thebluemaxproject.wingwalkers.org/pictures-to-go-with-the-words/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WWGeezer

Postby SYN_Bandy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:21 am

Really like where this is going. A lot of fun following it, and thanks for updates.

You seem to know your way around photoshop; so why not try pumping up the grain to mimic old B&W film stock with a fast ASA (tho don't think ASA was around back then, was it?).

S!
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby WWGeezer » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:04 am

If photoshop was a foriegn country, I know enough to order a beer and find the men's room....but sometimes that is good enough!
WWGeezer

Return to Lobby