SKINS Symbolic link

A place to talk about anything to do with Rise of Flight

Moderator: SYN Exec

SKINS Symbolic link

Postby SYN_Skydance » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:24 pm

How to create a symbolic link, in windows 10, so that you can use your "Rise of flight" skins in "Flying Circus" without using up any extra drive space.

I chose to do each aircraft separately as they are released.

Before commencing make a backup of the original skins. In my IL2 skins folder I renamed mine "FokkerDr1 original" etc

1) Type in Command Prompt in the bottom search bar.
2) When the command prompt pops up, right click on it, so that you can run it as an administrator
3) Click yes on the windows pop up and your command prompt window will pop up.

I have my IL2 stored on my "C" drive

eg - C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Moscow\data\graphics\skins

and my RoF skins stored on my "H" drive

eg - H:\Program Files (x86)\Rise of Flight\data\graphics\skins

This means I want to place a shortcut (symbolic link) in my IL2 folder directing to the RoF folder

4) You will need to type the following information into the command prompt window.

mklink /d (this is the command for the symbolic link that we require)

the location of the IL2 skins folder (eg C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Moscow\data\graphics\skins)

the location of the RoF folder (eg H:\Program Files (x86)\Rise of Flight\data\graphics\skins)

This means, for me, I would need to type the following, to create a FokkerDr1 symbolic link in my IL2 folder.

mklink /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Moscow\data\graphics\skins\FokkerDr1" "H:\Program Files (x86)\Rise of Flight\data\graphics\skins\FokkerDr1"

Please note the quotation marks at the start and end on both addresses. This is because of the spaces in the address. Without them the command prompt will give you a syntax error.

Hope this helps
i7 7700k @4.2Ghz, GTX 1080Ti,16G RAM, TrackIR, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS joystick, MFG Crosswind rudder pedals, Saitec throttle quadrants/trim wheel, a custom panel, HTC Vive and an Oculus Rift.
SYN_Skydance
Syndicate Squadron pilot

Re: SKINS Symbolic link

Postby SYN_Blackrat » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:53 am

Rather than use command window which is a PITA when typing, you can type or copy into notebook and save as a batch file ie. FCskinslink.bat, run as administrator will do the same thing, then you can edit to spad or any other plane easier.
"They say that just before you die, your whole life flashes in front of you. Make sure it is worth watching."
SYN_Blackrat
Site Admin

Return to Lobby