Moderator: SYN Exec

Re: UPDATE COMING UP TODAY!

Postby SYN_Kollwitz » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:23 am

I should be, i'll keep an eye out.
SYN_Kollwitz
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:22 am

SYN_Vander wrote:In January of 1917 the Albatros DIII fell apart a little too often so they were temporarily withdrawn. So February is an excellent time frame for having both Halberstadts, Albatros DII and Albatros DIII (re-entering service) as well as N17, Pup and maybe a N11.

Yes, I agree now. Vaguely remember reading about MvR having to fly a Halb DII for a while in early 1917, it will work in that context.

February 1917, a winter map then? I hope so, the winter tiles are beautiful and under utilized, though snow reflections can be hard on the graphics if turned on. And shimmer of course...
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Kollwitz » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:02 am

good to see different opinions on the winter map. I think it is an awful map and takes all the enjoyment out of flying. The reflections are overdone and to see the trees with leaves and snow leaves (sic) a lot to be desired...
SYN_Kollwitz
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Jedders » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:13 am

Will it have to be the snow map?...cant we use the Autumn one and pretend its late winter?....
SYN_Jedders
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Jedders » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:15 am

Server Maintenance now....
SYN_Jedders
Site Admin

Postby SYN_Vander » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:01 pm

I have been experimenting with combinations of winter and autumn textures. Frankly, I don't know what I ended up with :).
Koll, please test and change as you see fit. Set all height map, terrain and forest textures to "landscape" (and hit apply") to revert back to summer landscape.

I won't be back until 9 pm CET.
SYN_Vander
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Kollwitz » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:42 pm

I'll leave it as is, we might as well try it first and change later :)

An October session over the French sector could be fun as well, with eindeckers, halbies and a few albs vs. n.11, with limited n17 and SPADS 150hp

St. Mihiel on a rainy day anyone?
SYN_Kollwitz
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Bandy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:47 pm

SYN_Kollwitz wrote:good to see different opinions on the winter map.

Now, I wish you really meant that rather than a shallowly buried opinionated slight... :roll:

SYN_Kollwitz wrote:I think it is an awful map and takes all the enjoyment out of flying. The reflections are overdone and to see the trees with leaves and snow leaves (sic) a lot to be desired...

Yes, as already mentioned, the reflections are detrimental, but having grown up in the GWN (that is Great White North), trust me, the snow reflections are not overdone by much. There is something called 'snow blindness' that results from powerful reflections off of the snow that burns your retinas if not protected by special goggles in the past, or polarizing sunglasses now.

Can the snow covered trees be better? Definitely, but I'm not willing to toss-out-the-baby-with-the-bath-water because of it...

A mix of winter and fall tiles may be the ticket! If somebody knows the RoF tile file structure let me know, and I'll experiment with making some new winter tiles. I have a little experience, perhaps enough to be dangerous, but willing to give it a shot and get some constructive critique.
Lest we forget...
SYN_Bandy
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Kollwitz » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:06 pm

You know that I meant it :lol:

I have encountered "snow blindness" in the outside world, but I'm not going to wear my ski goggles on a winter map. The contrast given on screen is not big enough to show reflections realistically, and it really looks overdone.

What I meant to say is that "everybody is entitled to an opinion, so are you"....

... see, that sounded much better didn't it :lol:
SYN_Kollwitz
Syndicate Exec

Postby SYN_Kollwitz » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:17 pm

Both servers updated!
SYN_Kollwitz
Syndicate Exec

PreviousNext

Return to Lobby